Friday, March 7, 2014

To Do's and To Don'ts Part 1

Ok, so I know this title is not grammatically correct and technically doesn't make sense but I think it's funny and gets my point across.  Ever since I posted my progress pictures I have been receiving quite a few questions about HOW I did it. That is very hard to sum up in one blog post but I will do my best. If I don't accomplish it, then don't worry! I will post more :)

With that said, here we go!
First, drink PLENTY of water! Refer to this post for more info.
What do you eat? What diet do you follow?
I technically don't diet. I eat healthy. There is a difference. I find ways to make food that I enjoy healthy. And I eat the less healthy things I enjoy only every once in a while (not every day). I try to eat a well balanced diet that will get me the most NUTRIENTS. I am gluten free, dairy free, soy free and peanut free because of Celiac Disease and other allergies. I am not saying everyone needs to be gluten free but what I am saying is, I understand how hard it is to find things to eat. It takes thought, planning, and creativity. I would have to say that I basically eat a Paleo diet, but it is not 100% of the time. It is more like 75% of the time, because I sometimes eat rice, potatoes, and oats, and organic cane sugar (in small amounts!).

Do you count calories?
 I don't count my calories (everyday but I do a couple times a week  to see where I am at)
 If you are just starting out with this weight loss thing I would recommend counting calories for the first few months until you get used to things. This doesn't mean getting mad at yourself when you go over a little and it definitely doesn't mean starving yourself. Eating too few calories for long periods of time (long to me is like a week haha) is bad for your health and will actually slow your metabolism. Be smart, make good choices consistently and you will see improvements. I don't think it is good to completely cut out certain food either, unless your doctor suggests it. The body needs protein, fat and carbs! Where those come from is what will make the difference. Processed and packaged food is NOT the way to go. Try to eat instead fresh vegetables and whole grains (but limit the amount of grains cause excess carbohydrates do turn into fat). Anyway, watch what you eat, but don't become obsessed with it.

Ok now for exercise:
I workout 5 to 6 days a week. I schedule a time each day and I don't plan anything during that time. This is important to do! Because if you don't schedule a specific time each day then it won't get done. It's the truth, we are all too quick to put something in the way as an excuse to not exercise. Most days I workout in the morning before work and school, that way it is done and I don't have to worry about it the rest of the day. My schedule is busy with work and school so exercise can easily get pushed to the back burner if I am not diligent at making it a priority.

I alternate between circuit training or weight training and cardio. Both of which are important for overall health. If you aren't willing to lift weights then you won't see the results you want. Weight training is amazing and I have really grown to love it! I especially love combining weight training with body weight movements. If you follow the exercises I post then you will have a combination of weight training and body weight workouts.

I also do yoga. I feel like yoga is such a great way to strengthen your entire body (especially your core). It is also great for balance, coordination, stress relief and flexibility. All of which are important for preventing injury. Yoga is actually what brought be back to working out after being sick for a while because it was low impact and wouldn't make me feel like throwing up (which seriously happened every time I worked out for a while) I would still ride my bike when I was having some health issues but it was hard. Anyway, yoga is FANTASTIC! Find a Groupon for a place near you and start classes now :)

Get plenty of sleep! Don't compromise your sleep!

And to finish this post
If you have an office job or have a life that requires a lot of sitting I would recommend doing all that you can to move throughout the day. I have an office job that is in a building with stairs. I am on the first floor and whenever I go to the bathroom I run all the way up to the 5th floor and back down. I park at the back of the parking lot farthest away from the building so that I can walk (if you work somewhere that is not safe then don't do that). I also do some at the office desk stretches and movements haha, I seriously do. I will do another post about that. Just note that these suggestions don't substitute exercising.

The End. Now go out there and be active!















No comments:

Post a Comment